May 30, 2010

Rainy Day ~ Revised

After looking at the "Rainy Day" block on my design wall for the last two days, I have decided that the strong circle design fabric is too overpowering for the umbrella design.  I have sewn the block again, using a solid pink and I think I like it better.


The pink patches will show up as pinwheels more than the circles did, and I think the pink solid is not as distracting.


I love the circle design in the first block (left) but when I stand back and look at it from five or six feet away, the umbrellas disappear and all I see are the circles.  The block on the left would look great if I put the pink solid in place of the umbrellas, but I want the umbrellas!

I have to admit that I frequently get "frozen" at this point in the design game.  What if I am making the wrong decision?  What if I spend hours and hours making the blocks with the solid pink and I end up with something I don't like?  Aggghh!  Maybe I should put them aside and make something else!  I defeat myself before I even get started.  Well, today I am making the decision to forge ahead with the pink solid.  But I really, really like the circles.....oh, dear.

4 comments:

  1. Joan, I love those blocks. The fabric is wonderful!! What is the quilt block pattern?? Would make a fun fussy cut block!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vickie, I drew this block myself. It is a great fussy cut pattern with the square in the center. The big problem is figuring out the framing fabric without overpowering the center. Still working on it. I really appreciate the feedback! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you're right about the pink, the pin-wheel would get lost with the circles. It's a beautiful fabric that might work better as part of the border. Nice block, you should give it a name.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you're right. I like this block much better.

    ReplyDelete